This bonded tobacco warehouse was designed by the Docks Committee engineer and built by William Cowlin and Sons in 1905. The 'A' Bond was the first of the 3 similar brick warehouses to be built in the Cumberland Basin.
'A' Bond is now owned by Bristol City Council and is a Grade II listed building. In recent years local businesses have begun a process of considering its future use. The warehouse itself is very dark inside and is currently being used as a 220,000 square feet temporary storage facility.
The idea would be to agree a 125 year lease, and develop the building on behalf of the community. This would include affordable housing, mixed use working space, a creche, a cycle shop, retails spaces, restaurants, and food growing.
There are lots of professionals in Bristol interested in helping turn this into something really interesting and exciting on behalf of the city so watch this space!