Originally designed as Fairfield Infants School and Fairfield Road Higher Grade and Science School the schools opened their doors to pupils for the first time in October 1898. Designed by William Larkins Bernard FRIBA (1843-1922) for the Bristol School Board, the building is made out of Squared Pennant Sandstone rubble, red brick and terra cotta dressings, double Roman tiled roofs.
The proposed development includes the refurbishment and extension of the existing school building, which is Grade II Listed. The triangular site is bounded on three sides by residential roads of terraced houses. The site will be divided to provide two separate areas of accommodation, with separate pedestrian access points, with both facilities having access to on site playgrounds.
The project objectives are to create a new two form entry (420 place) primary school, in the Old Fairfield School building. The remaining space will be to provide a new facility for the Hospital Education Service.
The project proposals are to retain the buildings on the site, and re-adapt them to allow for two different educational occupancies, to work jointly on the site.
Extensive refurbishment is required to the building, both internally and externally to bring in line with present day building performance requirements.
The Primary School will have access to the Old School House and out buildings in the south of the site (the Victorian girls toilets and the 1902 Playhouse), with the main school accommodation in the Victorian School House, the lower area of the Victorian Science building and the Victorian Infants Building. BHES will be accommodated in the Victorian Science building and have access to the Victorian Boys Toilets.
The building is complex with historical value that needs protection. Some remediation works ahead of the main works were carried out to prevent further deterioration through water ingress.